Friday, July 24, 2009

July Family History/ Geneology Lesson

Just wanted to share my lesson in case anyone missed it or loved the quotes, or just because I ran way over and didn't get to share more quotes. enjoy. Rough reading. I'm a quotes person remember.

RS Lesson/ Family History/ Geneology
Most info taken from : We have a work to do by Prs. Hunter, Mar 1995 Ensign; Family History: “In Wisdom and in Order” by Pres Oaks E nsign June 1989; And “Your Family History; Getting Started by Pres. Packer Ensign Aug. 2003.

Who can relate the threefold mission of the church. Which is to Proclaim the gospel, Perfect the Saints, a and redeem the dead. According to Elder Oaks, “Every Member should have some ongoing activity in each of these three dimensions. “
Today I’d like to concentrate on redeeming the dead.
Some of you have names on your chairs. Could you hold up your card when I call your name.

Romania Pearl Smith E. B. 24 July 1900 D. don’t know mom/dad didn’t write it down You lived in SLC< Utah , you are a decendant of Pioneers who forged the trail west. You are my Great-Grandmother. I never knew you. Your work has been done, and If you choose, you may begin helping to proclaim the gospel in the spirit world.

Beth Leila McEwen E.b . 26 April 1919 D. May 2000 You lived most your life around SLC, Utah, but also a spout in Pascagoula, MS. You were a stern woman. Who loved to argue with anyone. Your husband worked for Chevron. Your son’s inheiritance stock was greatly affected by the recession of 2008. Your idea to give grandkids bonds for a home deposit, bc yal almost lost yours in the depression, was a good idea. You died of cancer. You were my grandmother, my mom loves to call me Beth when I argue, she must have loved her mother in law visits. I also have your butt. They say. You did your work before you died. Thank you Grandmother

Mary Edna Stork B. b. 28 feb 1906 in pecan , MS You worked on a farm in Pecan Ms. And had 12 kids 2 sets of twins. You died 2 mths shy of your 100th bday and a family reunion that didn’t happen. I’m glad Kilee and Kandon got to Meet you. You died in Dec. 2005 You were my great grand mother. I knew you but haven’t done your work. Sorry.

Susanna Adele Karhu Koskela b. 14 April 1888 in Isokyro Finland. D 26 jan. 1978 in Pecan Ms. You came to America a few years after your friend who became your husband. You had nine kids. I have your middle name. You were also my Great grand mother. Your work has been done. By the way your house flooded during Katrina.
Toini Rauni Koskela Howard b. 16 mar. 1930 during the depression. In Pecan MS. D. in 2007 from an anurism. You are my granny’s twin sister. You were at my wedding rec. I knew you growing up. Your work has not been done. Sorry.
Elenora Deon Bascom B 16 july 1915 un Vernal , Utah. You were my husbands grandmother. He didn’t really know you. D sept 11 1978. You did a lot of geneology research. I printed it off the internet. But I haven’t looked at it in years. Thank you though. It looks like someone liked Cliff to kings of Scottland, England, and to Old King Cole and one line goes back to to 6 ad. I don’t know if your work has been done. I’m sure it has. I’ll have to get back to ya on that one. Take a seat.

I told you of a few family members because I wanted to remind you that although we classify them as being DEAD. They are yet living in the spirit world. And where is this located. Here. A Veil is placed so we can not see. These are people. That although good might not have been able to receive the ordinances necessary for salvation. Why do this? Christ’s death made it possible for everyone to have immortality and to be resurrected. But Salvation, Exhaltation require ordinaces such as baptism.
On vacation the other week, we were driving with my mom and going to pass a cemetery. Mom said, now wave to great Aunt Jenni she’s buried in the cemetery up here. Then One kid, I think it was kandon although the sacrcasm would be more of kilee. Said. “Why, their dead, they can’t hear us. ?” But as we passed Kandon was the only who said it nicely, “HI aunt jenni? We of course explained that although we can’t see them, they sometimes can hear and see us, and with permission communicate with us.
"You believe in the Resurrection. You must know that baptism for someone who is dead is quite as essential as baptism for someone who is living. There is no difference in the importance of it. One by one it must happen. They must do it here while living, or it must be done for them here after they die." President Packer. Ensign Aug. 2003
"In this Church we are not hobbyists in geneaology work. We do family history work in order to provide the ordinances of salvation for the living and the dead. " Elder Oaks . Ensign 1989
"There is much each member can do toward redeeming the dead--and each can contribute according to individual circumstances and abilities." Oaks
Today I would like to try and encourge and remind us of our sacred responsibilities toward redeeming the dead and preserving our family history.
JS said in tpsj p 356. “The greatest responsibility in this world that God has laid upon us is to seek after our dead.
BY possess the question,”What do you suppose the fathers would say if they could speak from the dead? Would they not say, ‘ We have lain here thousands of years, here in this prison house, waiting for this dispensation to come?’ What would they whisper in our ears, if we could but realize the importance of the work we are engaged in . All the angels in heaven are looking at this little handful of people, and stimulating them to salvation of the human family. (Jof disc. 18:304)

President Packer and his wife were impressed to begin their family history, but didn’t know where to begin and felt they had no time. They finally adopted the practice of getting up an hour or two earlier each day and within weeks were amazed at how much they had gathered and knew that their efforts were being guided by those behind the veil.
Now I know you are probably thinking., but sis. Nowell, I have kids. Ya know whinning, crying, breafast, lunch dinner, and I have a husband too, two callings, a job, cleaning, and you want me to gather one name a month, write one story a week of my history. I go to church, I partake of the sacrament, I’ve been to the temple. I have a lot on my plate now. I just don’t think that is my responsibility, my sister will do it.
List to what Pres. Joseph Fielding Smith said, “It matters not what else we have been called to do, or what position we may occupy, or how faithfully in other ways we have labored in the Church, none are exempt from this great obligation. It is required of the apostle as well as of the humblest elder. Place or distinction, or long service in the Church, I the mission field, the Stakes of in, or wher or how else it may have been will not entitle on to disregard the salvation of one’s dead. Some may feel that if they pay their tithing, attend their regular meetings and other duties, give of their substance to feed the poor, perchance spend one or two or more years preaching I the world, that they are absolved from further duty. (my mom said something like this a while ago. I was just stake Rs pres, seminary teacher for 6 years, I think I’m entitled to a break.) (I’m thinking, a mom, I didn’t say of course, “Endure to the End, hold to the iron rod, doesn’t mean stop and sit under the tree of life, I’m not pulling your wagon for you the rest of the way. we must continue and reach for the fruit to partake thereof. I’m not going to throw you a piece of fruit down the path. There are no slides.
Now I know that there is no way I can function getting up two hrs earlier, I’m sure I can but lack the discipline. But what would happen if I just got up 15 min. or 30 min earlier. And turned on the computer and printed off one card from the names I already have put in on new.familysearch.org .
Pres. Kimball says…”We do not know how many millions of spirits are involved.. We know that the spirit world is filed with the spirits of men who are waiting for you and me to get busy…” to do something is what they are waiting for. No one is going to force us. The choice to do what we are asked is up to us.

“But the decision, the action, must begin with the individual. The Lord will not tamper with our agency. If we want a testimony of family history and temple work, we must do something about that work.” Pres. Packer He goes on to say, “It is a matter of getting started. You may come to know the principle that Nephi knew when he said, “And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do”. 1 Nephi 4:6
He an apostle wasn’t sure how to do geneoglogy, but he started and was led by the spirit where and what to do.
Now we are not alone, “Elder Packer has said, I love it, “ It is a veil, not a wall, that separates us from the spirit world.. Veils can become thin, even parted. WE are not left to do this work alone They who have preceded us in this work and our forebears there, on occasion, are very close to us.”
The Prophet JS stated, “The greatest responsibility in this world that God has laid upon us is to seek after our dead” {History of the church 6:313 and also states,” This doctrine was the burden of the scriptures. Those Saints who neglect it I behalf of their deceased relatives, do it at the peril of their own salvation.” (4:426)
Brigham Young also chimed in with, “We have a work to do just as important in its sphere as the Saviors work was in its sphere. Our fathers cannot be made perfect without us; we cannot be made perfect without them. They have done their work and now sleep. We are now called upon to do ours; which is to be the greatest work man ever performed on the earth.” )Disc. Of BY p406)

Every prophet since Joseph Smith has encouraged us to seek after out dead.

"We who live in this day are those whom God appointed before birth to be his representatives on earth in this dispensation. We are of the house of Israel. In our hands lie the sacred powers of being saviors on Mount Zion in the latter days. " Pres. H. W. Hunter
When we are in need, Kilee can you help me with the dishes, Sister Dustin could you watch kowen for me, Sister Mersburg could you help me learn to crochet, Sister Garcia could you help me with my food storage, hunny will you switch over the laundry. When we are in need we ask for help. Our ancestors are asking for our help so they can continue to do what they want to do. Are we willing to help, this week, this month, this year? What is our goal?
The righteous spirits I heaven are proclaiming the gospel to those who didn’t receive and accept it here. They are working, not resting and singing all day. In a book called Life everlasting are many instances of visions from the spirit world. Now I will only quote the ones of prophets or apostles.
PG 206 son tells father , grieve no more I am working on this side and you here , together we are saving our family.
Pg113 woodruff, every dispensation has had time, we are in a hurry

In 1995 President Hunter called for Temple work to hasten. He stated that 5 in a half million temple endowments were done, but 50 million people died that year. During Pres. Hinckley’s years he hastened the work with building temples, but we as members must enter and use the temples to make them of use. We must make a choice and follow through with a goal. What goal are you going to set this year?

Going to the temple is not only for our dead, but for ourselves and our spiritual nourishment. Elder John A. Widtsoe said, “ Temple work…gives a wonderful opportunity for keeping alive our spiritual knowledge and strength.. The mighty perspective of eternity is unraveled before us in the holy temples; we see time from its infinite beginning to its endless end; and the drama of eternal life is unfolded before us. Then I see more clearly my place amidst the things of the universe, my place among the purposes of God; I am better able to place myself where I belong, and I am better able to value and to weigh, to separate and to organize the common, ordinary duties of my life so that the little things shall not oppress me or take away my vision of the greater things that God has given us. “Conf. Report 1922. Apr. p 97-98)
The Lord himself said, in D&c 127:4, Let the work of my temple, and all the works which I have appointed unto you, be continued on and not cease,; and let your diligence, and your perseverance, and patience, and your works be redoubled, and you shall in nowise lose your reward, saith the Lord of Hosts.”
Now might be a good time to stop and talk about our individual levels and what Elder Oaks said about having some “ongoing activity in each“ of the three dimensions of the church‘s mission. Proclaiming the gospel, perfecting the saints, and redeeming the dead. We all are individual daughters of God, we all have different talents, different problems, different lives. It is not requisite that we keep up with our dear Sister Molly Mormon or Sister Jones if you prefer to call her. Although the Lord just asked us to redouble our efforts, He has also taught us…
"And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order, for it is not requisite that a man (or woman) should run faster than he has strength." Mosiah 4:27
Elder Dallin H. Oaks has also stressed
"....our efforts to promote temple and family history work should be such as to accomplish the work of the Lord, not to impose guilt on his children..."
Elder Oaks.Ensign 1989
Someone who invites another to go to the temple, in not only redeeming the dead, but perfecting the saints, check of two for you. Helping another to be blessed. Now set another goal in each.
So, as he said, I am not here to impose guilt or to try to push you to do something you don’t want to. Everyone has their own talents. You set your own goals. You decide what level of blessings you can receive. What I am here to do is give you a lesson on Family history and Geneology. To let you know what is expected of you, and what help lies out there for you. I am here to spark a desire in you that might have lay dormant because our temple is inhabitable right now. To let you know there are other ways to serve and help redeem the dead , than just doing names at the temple.
Such as Journals, scrapbooks, indexing, taking photos, teaching children of ancestors, and compiling certificates and awards of family. Journals are something we have always been told to keep, Kimball said, “ “Your Journal is your autobiography, so it should be kept carefully.” 1 nephi 1:1-3 is “ And I know that the record which I make is true; and I make it with mine own hand; and I make it according to my knowledge.” What if our journals were with such feeling that we were writing to our posterity so they may learn from our mistakes. But you may be thinking, oh my life is so boring, why would anyone want to read about it. But just think what you have lived through, some of you saw man land on the moon, a president shot, the invention of hd flat screen television, cell phones, computers becoming household items not the kind that fill garages, a space shuttle blowing up, wars, rumors of wars, sept. 11th, the first African american president, new prophets, temples dotting the earth.. We have a lot to write about. Let us remember that most of our scriptures are journals of spiritual experiences. Journals they kept not knowing the importance of, except the Lord commanded them to. Not for them but for us their posterity. Now concerning our spiritual experiences, we shouldn’t just write about history, or the happy times. Pres. Kimball taught, “Your own private journal should record the way you face up to challenges that beset you. Do not suppose life changes so much that your experiences will not be interesting to your posterity…Your own journal, like most others, will tell of problems as old as the world and how you dealt with them. Your journal should contain your true self rather than a picture of you when you are made up for a public performance….You are unique, and there may be incidents in your experience that are more noble and praiseworthy in their way than those recorded in any other life.. What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity , your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved?.. Some of what you write may be humdrum dates and places, but there will also be rich passages that will be quoted by your posterity. …Get a ..journal that will last through all time and maybe the angels may quote from it for eternity. “

I am here to let you know, Like Elder Oaks said, “Our effort is not to compel everyone to do everything, but to encourage everyone to do SOMETHING." Elder Oaks

Just like my lesson in January was to get started, set goals and resolutions. To take charge with your life. To do something . I’m here saying What will you do with 2009? Again.

Would those ladies with Yellow strips please hold them up. You ladies have received the blessings of the temple and can move forward with helping the work of the Lord move forward. Those of you with red names. I’m sorry you will have to wait where you are til I get around to it. Now if I remember what the prophets have told and see these names as women, my grandmothers, my family, waiting for my help. Then maybe those 30 min of sleep won’t seem like such a loss, or missing one television show a week is doable. Baby steps.
I love learning who and what they did and everything. But I love reading it after someones done it. It’s easier. But I know it is my part to do it and set a goal to work at it whether daily, monthly, or yearly, but to get it done. So I must do something. I don’t have to be the one to take all the names to the temple, in florida I did the names, mailed them to my sister-in-law whose yw did the baptisms , then she mailed it to my mom whose ward did the other temple work needed. There I did two of the three. Perfect the saints by helping others be involved and redeem the dead. I didn’t do it all, just something.
There are many things you can do, volunteer in family history center, temple worker, census indexing at familysearchindexing.org. Gather info for others to compile.
One idea is to take this biographies of Yesterday and call my husbands grandma or my granny everyday and ask a few questions about someone and write it down. Because it’s gone when they are.
If you want to do your own personal history. Here is a good suggestion I got at a HFPE meeting. I got this and what did I do with it. I filed it away in a filing cabinet under family history geneoloy. Didn’t do it. Filed it away. But it’s cute. Set aside some time to answer one question a week and at the end of the year you will have your history done. Notebooks are on sale for new school year. Doesn’t have to be the prettiest, just done.
This reminds me of when I went home the other week to my parents. I got this personal history of my dad’s neightbor. I knew he was a descendant of pioneers, a plural wife, but his family has heard bad things of Brigham Young or something and are not members. Anyways I read it. And he lived and Knew Brigham and served missions. Was there to defend idea of Massacre and Consecration of all belongings and pLural marriage. He talks of how it was hard but he knew it was right. Then he bears his testimony and asks questions of how could a boy JS think of this. I was moved. How could family members read this and not be. No one edited out his testimony. I was inspired and persuaded on his thoughts. But I’m a member so I guess I’m bias already.
IF only all realatives had done this. We would know their lives and feelings and why they do things.
There are many ways we can keep the mission of redeeming the dead. We could work on the internet and put in our info and make our family trees and take names to the temple. We could write our personal History, gather pictures , make quilts, gather stories. So let us remember what Pres. Hinckley said in may Ensign 1995, “We have work to do, you and I, So very much of it. Let us roll up our sleeves and get at it, with a new commitment, putting our trust in the Lord…We can do it, if we will be prayerful and faithful.”

Now after all that was said and stresses. I have to say. Can’t quote it. But know I have heard that let us not stress too much that if our work on our family history/ geneology is so great that we neglect our living family or neglect to share the gospel with our living neighbors and friends we will be held accountable for that too. That our first priority should be missionary work to the living and then the dead.
Kimball said, our greatest work will be withing the walls of our own homes. Teach our children the importance of the temple, why we do work for the dead, who our ancestors are, and other gospel principles qualify for proclaiming the gospel, perfecting the living saints, and redeeming the dead.
I hope and pray that each of you have been inspired and take at least one of the many great quotes to heart and get motivated to do something. I leave you with my new found scripture , I found yesterday, that anyone can memorize, “Jacob 6:12, “O be wise; what can I say more?” Be wise my sisters and move forward on the iron rod, doing the work of the Lord and great will be your joy if you endure to the end.
ITNOJCA

No comments: